Yesterday we announced the new project importer and to keep things moving, today we are announcing two brand new features: tags and task search. The tags implementation works just like twitter’s hashtags, you just #tag a task and it becomes easily searchable. And speaking of searchable, the new search feature allow very powerful and expressive searches, it’s really cool.
Users are used to adding a # before a relevant keyword to categorize a Tweet, a photo on Instagram, a video on YouTube, a post on Google+, Tumblr, or Pinterest. #Tags provide a useful way of grouping and associating particular topics of discussion.
We added #tags functionality to Blimp’s tasks because of their simple to understand nature. For example, you can add the tag #design to all the tasks related to design work. That will allow other users to easily filter by that tag just by clicking on it or by making a #tag search. Easy enough.
#Tags are only helpful if you can search and filter them. So, we implemented a pretty powerful search feature that lets you not only search for any keyword on a task but also filter them by assigned users, tags, status, and color. This allows you to create useful searches like the following:
- @me #marketing – Search for all tasks assigned to you and have the #marketing tag.
- @nobody #marketing – Search for all tasks that have not been assigned and have the #marketing tag.
- @elving (red) :doing – Search for all tasks that have been assigned to elving, have the color red, and have been marked as DOING.
- (green) :checked – Search for all tasks that have the color green and have been checked off.
- @gcollazo blog :done #marketing (green) – Search for all tasks that have been assigned to gcollazo, have the keyword blog, are done, have the #marketing tag, and have the color green. Pretty specific, right?
- You get the idea
Here’s a list of all available searches:
- @username – tasks assigned to the specified user
- @me – the currently logged in user
- @nobody – tasks that have not been assigned
- :all or :plan – all tasks
- :doing or :active – tasks that are currently being worked on
- :review – tasks that are waiting for approval
- :done – tasks that completed (and approved if necessary)
- :unchecked or :inactive – tasks that are not checked
- :checked – tasks that are checked
- (red) – tasks with color red
- (orange) – tasks with color orange
- (yellow) – tasks with color yellow
- (green) – tasks with color green
- (purple) – tasks with color purple
- #tag – tasks with specified tag
Let us know what you think on twitter @getblimp or leave a comment below.